Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ROOSEVELT SCHOLARSHIP : THE DAY BEFORE I GO!

January 22nd I left for the USA on Nottingham's Roosevelt Scholarship to forward Bantum and promote Nottingham's creative scene. (NOTTINGHAM PEEPS BETWEEN 21-30 APPLY FOR THE S
COLORSHIP NOW AT http://www.rooseveltscholarship.org/News.aspx

Ok for those who know me its not a great surprise that the day before i left for America we were desperately banging out our samples for the new collection (oh for those not in the 007 know the new collection for our grimey street label Bantum...one day soon you'll know all about it:)

James Huyton (www.jameshuyton.com) and Rachael Hobbs (new Bantum bunny fashion designer) have been working solidly on the label with me for the last year and up till they left me at Nottingam train station they were immense.















James in the Bantum HQ (aka the organised one)

20th Jan (Day before i left) went like this :

8.30am: I hit October textiles screen printers to finish sampling. Mat, Craig, Hacket were legends being patiently matching the colours to weird things i bought in for colour matching (please don't follow suit the owner paul will one day shoot me..pantone references are proffered)

Whilst I'm there James is sorting out promo material for the trip and Rachael is finishing labeling samples and making a big pocket sweat.

2 pm : I run back to the studio to drop samples to sew...gotta love Nottingham's trams as it got me there quick time!

2:30pm : Rachael goes to Dot sports, Bantums other printers to get the new Bantum logo flocking shirts..standardly big thanks to them for helping out last minute..are you getting a picture of how i roll?...not good for anyones health I aim for 2011 to be my more in advance year!)

3pm I pick up portable screen printer from Norm and Alex at Waste yourself Graphic design studio. Big thanks for that guys...its breaking my back though!

4pm : pack my samples bag...organised James has laid out the samples real nice making it easier in times of slight panic that i might miss the train.

6pm Rachael finishes sewing the last sample. everyone jumps in the car. We drive to Kid 30 aka Nathan of Nottingham's prestigious Oxygen Thievez to check out his screen printer as I'm hoping its lighter...doh its not..our well ill man up and take the Waste one:)

645 : cain it to the station from Forest fields to make the 7pm train.

6.56: Liatti from the Bantum family's Elementz (Big in the game hip hop producers) meets me at the ticket barrier and stuffs the 'Crumbs of Nottingham' CDs into my bag. A compilation of the Bantum family and other Nottingham legends to drop around the US.










The Beautiful Liatii from the Elementz getting a munch before Skimans Nottingham arena debut back in 2010


6.58 get on the train....7pm train moves with me wishing i had remembered to put my lynx on in the morning and feeling for the people sitting by me:(

10 arrive back at my ma and pas in London town. Get some good fatherly advice, half listen (thinking i should probably listen harder), go to bed.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps READ ME:)

To all those peeps who say why dont you go to China and make everything real cheap there the above is testimony to why you should try and keep as much on the home front as possible. 1) It means when its really needed can get things done in a day 2) you can be there for sampling (SUPER IMPORTANT) 3) It feels good to have relationships with other businesses in the city..a good business is built on good relationships foolios!) 4) A made in England label carrys weight. 5) You should be proud to have try and support your local economy especially in these harshe times.

pps Rant over.

No comments: